Costume finished (1st Version) - July 22, 2004
Wig/Accessories – I used the same wig and accessories that were used for Yuna Songstress. The second version was when I had just bought a new wig for Yuna. I didn’t style it or cut it as much as I should have because of my lack of experience at the time. I made the Tiny Bees using toy guns and used craft foam to make the extra parts.
Hair tail – Used the same one as described under Yuna (Thief).
Top – Finding the right materials for the top took such a long time since I was picky about the lace. My city doesn’t have that big of selection on lace so it was difficult to choose. I used a mixture of peach and fuscia dye for the bottom lace on the shirt. I made the shirt based off a halter top that I had. I put a cord along the top part of the shirt and I made it long enough to tie at the neck. This allowed for the bunching effect on top side of the shirt. I made the Zanarkand symbol out of vinyl, painted it with black fabric paint and then sealed it. I hand sewed it using tiny stitches to the ends of the shirt. This hood was the first hood I made. I looked up a pattern for it off of the internet, and then made it. I originally made the hood out of white material and I used the same dye for the bottom lace to dye the hood so that the colors would match.
Armbands – After creating the yellow part of the armbands, I used black thread and sewed big stitches along the top and bottom. I used black yarn to tie the armbands.
Shorts – I used a pair of pants that I had and chopped off a good part of the legs of it.
Belt – The belt was the most expensive part to make out of all the rest. I used micro fiber suede to cover the belting parts which was the same vinyl that I used to make the Zanarkand symbol. I bought the metal rings at a hardware store and I had to kind of crush each of them because Yuna’s rings didn’t seem like a perfect circle to me. I had to make them in a more oval shape. I made the bag by hand and I bought the strings that go on the bag from Hobby Lobby. The gemstones I added after painting silver. I found the silver things, which I can’t think of the proper name for them, from Hobby Lobby too and glued the turquoise gems to it.
Sideskirt – This was pretty difficult to make. What made it most difficult was the dyeing effect of it. I found blue material and bits of a belt with a long leather type strings. I divided the side skirt in four parts. The top part of the sideskirt is the one that isn’t gradient dyed at all and then you have the 3 that are. I found material that was the closest blue color I could get. I forgot what exact type the fabric was, but it seems like it would matter. Some fabrics dye easier than others. For this part, I had to bleach it. Instead of using a white and dyeing it to gradient, I kind of went the opposite and bought a blue and bleached it. That was hard to do because you have to keep your hands clean and dry the whole time. After bleaching about half of each of the 3 bottom parts of the sideskirt and washing it, I dyed it using a royal blue dye. I created a pattern for the lace and cut several feet of it as shown in the progress picture. After sewing the lace to each of the dyed parts, I ran each part through the sewing machine with a blue thread using a pattern on the machine that resembled the one on Yuna’s skirt.
Boots – These took work to do. I used an old pair
of boots I got at thrift store, and made boot covers using vinyl
material. I painted the material in a charcoal gray color after it was
done. I bought the longest white shoe strings I could find and used that
to lace of the shoes.
Photo credits – Ninja_Kurai, Chibi Yunie, Angelwing
© 2009-2010 FallingFeathers.net, All Rights Reserved.